Gregory G. Walen, K.C.email@example.com
Greg has practiced law in Saskatoon since 1981 and is counsel to Scharfstein LLP. Greg is recognized as a leading practitioner in family law in Saskatchewan by LEXPERT®. He has been selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in Canada® from 2008 to present. In 2012, Greg was selected by Best Lawyers in Canada® as Lawyer of the Year in family law for Regina (Area) and, in 2014, 2016, 2019, and 2021, was selected as Lawyer of the Year in family law for Saskatoon.
Greg teaches Family Law at the College of Law, University of Saskatchewan. Greg has written extensively in the area of family law and has been a presenter, panelist, and facilitator at many family law conferences organized by the Law Society of Saskatchewan, the Canadian Bar Association, the Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association, the National Judicial Institute (NJI), and the Federation of Law Societies National Family Law Program.
Greg was a Bencher of the Law Society of Saskatchewan from 2005 to 2012 and was President of the Law Society in 2012. From 2013 to 2018 Greg was a Council member of the Federation of Law Societies of Canada representing the Law Society of Saskatchewan. In 2020, Greg was appointed as the first Hearing Administrator for the Law Society of Saskatchewan. In 2022, Greg was appointed the first hearing administrator for the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan.
In 2015, the Canadian Bar Association (Saskatchewan Branch) bestowed upon Greg the Distinguished Service Award recognizing his contributions and achievements relating to the law in Saskatchewan and Canada. In the same year, Greg was inducted as a Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers, the only Saskatchewan lawyer presently a Fellow and one of approximately 50 Fellows in Canada.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
Education and Experience
2000 – Appointed Queen’s Counsel, Saskatchewan
1981 – Admitted to the Saskatchewan Bar
1980 – Juris Doctor – University of Saskatchewan
1980 – Bachelor of Arts – University of Saskatchewan
Professional and Community Involvement
- Recipient – Distinguished Service Award – Canadian Bar Association (Saskatchewan Branch), 2015
- Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers
- Council Member, Federation of Law Societies of Canada, 2013 – 2018
- President (2012), Law Society of Saskatchewan
- Vice-President (2011), Law Society of Saskatchewan
- Bencher, Law Society of Saskatchewan, 2005 – 2012
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Saskatoon Bar Association
- Member, Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association
- Sessional Lecturer in Family Law, College of Law, University of Saskatchewan
- Recipient, Volunteer of the Year Award, Saskatchewan Legal Education Society, Saskatchewan North, 2002
- Co-coordinator and Lecturer, Family Law Section, Saskatchewan Bar Admissions Course, 2000-2004
- Vice Chair and Chair, Canadian Bar Association, Family Law, Saskatchewan North Section, 1998-2001
- Chair, Victims of Crimes Compensation Appeal Committee, 2007-2010
- Commissioner, Saskatchewan Legal Aid Commission, 1983-1988
- President, Association of Saskatchewan Community Legal Services Boards, 1983
- Chair, Board of Directors of Saskatoon Legal Assistance Clinic Society, 1981-1983