Gregory G. Walen, Q.C.
PARTNERgwalen@scharfsteinlaw.comCautionary note: If you are not presently a client of Scharfstein Gibbings Walen Fisher LLP, any information you communicate in your email is not protected by lawyer/client confidentiality, nor is a lawyer/client relationship established by our receipt of this email. Before we can discuss your matter, we must ensure that we do not have a conflict of interest. Please do not send us any confidential information in your e-mail.
Email Gregory G. Walen
Greg has practised law in Saskatoon since 1981 and is a partner with Scharfstein Gibbings Walen Fisher LLP. Greg is recognized as a leading practitioner in family law in Saskatchewan by LEXPERT®. He has been selected by his peers to be included in Best Lawyers in Canada® from 2008 to present. In 2012, Greg was selected by Best Lawyers in Canada® as Lawyer of the Year in family law for Regina (Area) and, in 2014, 2016 and 2019, was selected as Lawyer of the Year in family law for Saskatoon. From 2012 to present, Benchmark Litigation® named Greg as one of the top litigation practitioners in Saskatchewan.
Greg teaches Family Law at the College of Law, University of Saskatchewan. Greg has written extensively in the area of family law and has been a presenter, panelist, and facilitator at many family law conferences organized by the Law Society of Saskatchewan, the Canadian Bar Association, the Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association, the National Judicial Institute (NJI), and the Federation of Law Societies National Family Law Program.
Greg was a Bencher of the Law Society of Saskatchewan from 2005 to 2012 and was President of the Law Society in 2012. From 2013 to 2018 Greg was a Council member of the Federation of Law Societies of Canada representing the Law Society of Saskatchewan.
In 2015, the Canadian Bar Association (Saskatchewan Branch) bestowed upon Greg the Distinguished Service Award recognizing his contributions and achievements relating to the law in Saskatchewan and Canada. In the same year, Greg was inducted as a Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers, the only Saskatchewan lawyer presently a Fellow and one of approximately 50 Fellows in Canada.
Education and Experience
Appointed Queen’s Counsel, Saskatchewan
Admitted to the Saskatchewan Bar
Juris Doctor – University of Saskatchewan
Bachelor of Arts – University of Saskatchewan
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
Professional and Community Involvement
- Recipient – Distinguished Service Award – Canadian Bar Association (Saskatchewan Branch), 2015
- Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers
- Council Member, Federation of Law Societies of Canada, 2013 – 2018
- President (2012), Law Society of Saskatchewan
- Vice-President (2011), Law Society of Saskatchewan
- Bencher, Law Society of Saskatchewan, 2005 – 2012
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Saskatoon Bar Association
- Member, Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Canadian Law Teachers Association
- Sessional Lecturer in Family Law, College of Law, University of Saskatchewan
- Recipient, Volunteer of the Year Award, Saskatchewan Legal Education Society, Saskatchewan North, 2002
- Co-coordinator and Lecturer, Family Law Section, Saskatchewan Bar Admissions Course, 2000-2004
- Vice Chair and Chair, Canadian Bar Association, Family Law, Saskatchewan North Section, 1998-2001
- Chair, Victims of Crimes Compensation Appeal Committee, 2007-2010
- Commissioner, Saskatchewan Legal Aid Commission, 1983-1988
- President, Association of Saskatchewan Community Legal Services Boards, 1983
- Chair, Board of Directors of Saskatoon Legal Assistance Clinic Society, 1981-1983