Brent D. Barilla, Q.C.
PARTNERbbarilla@scharfsteinlaw.comCautionary note: If you are not presently a client of Scharfstein Gibbings Walen Fisher LLP, any information you communicate in your email is not protected by lawyer/client confidentiality, nor is a lawyer/client relationship established by our receipt of this email. Before we can discuss your matter, we must ensure that we do not have a conflict of interest. Please do not send us any confidential information in your e-mail.
Email Brent D. Barilla
Brent has practised law in Saskatoon since 1990 and is a partner with Scharfstein Gibbings Walen Fisher LLP. Brent is recognized as a leading practitioner in family law in Saskatchewan by LEXPERT®. He has been selected by his peers to be included in Best Lawyers in Canada. In 2015, Brent was selected by Best Lawyers in Canada® as Lawyer of the Year in family law for Saskatoon.
Brent has been very involved in the legal community, which has included being Past Director of the Collaborative Lawyers of Saskatchewan Inc., Past Vice-Chair and Chair of the Canadian Bar Association Family Law Section (North), Past Bar Course lecturer, and current Bar Course material presenter. Brent has taught specific topics in the area of family law at the College of Law, University of Saskatchewan as a substitute lecturer.
Brent has written extensively in the area of family law and has been a presenter, panelist, and facilitator at many family law conferences organized by the Law Society of Saskatchewan, the Canadian Bar Association, the Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association, and the Public legal Education Association.
Brent is married to Sheila and has four children.
Education and Experience
Bachelor of Arts – University of Saskatchewan
Bachelor of Laws – University of Saskatchewan
Admitted to the Saskatchewan Bar
Appointed Queen’s Counsel, Saskatchewan
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member of the Law Society of Saskatchewan
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the Saskatoon Bar Association
- Past Vice-Chair of the Canadian Bar Association, Family Law Saskatchewan, North Section
- Past Chair, Canadian Bar Association, Family Law, Saskatchewan, North Section
- Past and Current Lecturer, Family Law Section, Saskatchewan Bar Admission Course
- Past and Current Lecturer, Family Law, Public Legal Education Association
- Past Director of the Collaborative Lawyers of Saskatchewan Inc.
- Past Director of Nutana Curling Club
- Bankruptcy and Family Law – Family Law North Presentation
- Determination of Income for Self-Employed Persons – Saskatchewan Legal Education Society Family Law Conference
- Enforcement of Access – Saskatchewan Legal Education Society Seminar
- Child Support and Multiple Parents – Canadian Bar Association Mid-Winter Meeting
- Tax Credits/Benefits and Child Support – Presentation – Family Law North and Saskatchewan Legal Education Society Seminar
- Child and Spousal Support – Saskatchewan Bar Course material
- Negotiating, Advising and Drafting Considerations – Separation Agreements
- Spousal Support Guidelines – Law Society and STLA Conferences
- Stock Options – Family Law North Presentation
- Division of Family Home – Canadian Bar Notes